Warm Modernism in Miami
How To Achieve A Modern Look in an Old Apartment
Apartments are often cookie-cutter layouts with little to no differences between units. But that doesn’t mean you can’t design your apartment to be unique. Adding a touch of personalization is easier than you might think. You only need two things to pull it off: a little decorating know-how and modern apartment decor. With this in mind, we’ve put together modern apartment design and decorating tips to help you get started!
Okay so you got a great deal on an apartment in Miami. The only problem – it could use a little updating. Despite not having total freedom to remodel an apartment, there’s still a lot you can do to bring your place into the modern age.
Here’s a room-by-room breakdown of ways to modernize each space in your apartment.
A More Modern Kitchen
- Cabinet hardware – It’s easy to replace outdated hardware with more modern looking option. Go for simple, streamlined hardware in stainless steel, nickel or bronze finishes.
- Chalk board for design and function – You can get a chalkboard or use chalkboard paint to create a place to write out lists or draw temporary artwork.
- Add some bright accessories – Think yellow, acid green and aqua to turn up the volume in an otherwise outdated kitchen.
- Think mid-century modern for your small appliances – A retro look for your blender, toaster, etc. is a throwback that’s future proof.
- Showy shower curtain – The shower curtain is the statement piece of the restroom, so don’t be afraid to go bold. Try a maxi floral print or bright, large stripes.
- Go all white – Not only will it make the space feel larger, but a clean all-white space is always ultra modern.
- Add a little green to your windows – Instead of using curtains or blinds in the bathroom window create privacy with plants. Line up plants on the windowsill and/or hang a plant so that it dangles in front of the glass.
Updating Your Living Room
- Add pops of white on the wall – If you have a wall that is painted add all white accessories. Even the simplest items will really stand out.
- Graphic prints – Pillows, curtains, lampshades and wall art with big, bold graphic prints instantly add a modern touch.
- Transparent furniture – See through furniture made of glass and plastic will not only make your space seem larger, but it will also make the room look more modern at the same time.
- Oversized coffee table – Keep the table square or rectangular with curvy, ornate panels between the legs.
- Preppy décor – Go prep school cool with clean plaids and a yuppy color scheme. Keep things streamlined and put together – absolutely no clutter.
- Add in metallics – A metal night table or metal-framed mirror gives any bedroom a modern edge. Even subtle touches can make a big impact.
- Lacquered wood – The sheen of lacquer creates a high gloss, polished look that can be overpowering, but paired with the plush fabrics of the bedroom it’s balanced out for a chic, updated look.
All the ideas above are quick, easy and relatively inexpensive updates that can help bring your apartment into the modern day.